Blog Photo

Blog Photo
Brooklyn, NY April 2010

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

She Can't Help But Learn

I always feel like Zoee is getting the short end of the stick as the second child.  We read to her, talk to her all the time, and do so many things with her.  But I don't think that she knows as many things as Owyn did when he was her age.  He had my undivided attention when I was with him, and I did whatever he wanted to do.  She has to share me with Owyn and, unfortunately, his interests and activities often dominate. 

I was so happy within the past week to hear her count to 10, sing the ABC song, recite several nursery rhymes correctly and understandably, identify all the colors and 3 shapes, and point out 4 letters that she knows without a doubt - O, Z, M, D.  She even says, "O for Owyn, D for Daddy, Z for Zoee, M for Mommy." 

She has also started saying her own name very clearly, and she says "Owyn" now rather than just "O" when she is talking to or about him.  Granted, she still mostly screams at the top of her lungs when she is talking to him, but I know that she CAN say his name when she wants to. 

She is also talking in more complete sentences and uses the following pronouns:

my's - "I play with my's baby."
you's - "I sleep in you's bed." or "I you's baby."
him's - "Why O in him's room?"

It made me feel proud of her that she is learning despite my own feelings of denying her time, and it made me aware that she is learning a lot from her big brother too as he reads and plays with her.  Good for Zoee!

1 comment:

  1. I think she is even with Owyn - does all the things you said above plus putting puzzles together (Owyn did also), making sentences, accurate in where things are and what she wants to do. Love it!

    ReplyDelete