Owyn had told me after school that he didn't want to wiggle his tooth anymore (something Dr. Molly told him to do since the new tooth was already coming in) because it was hurting more. The kids were eating homemade pizza for dinner when Owyn cried out a bit. I thought maybe he had hit the tooth just right and it hurt, but I saw a little bit of blood on his lip, and I was pretty sure I saw a mini gap in his mouth.
After a quick investigation, I realized that it was indeed gone:
Me: Do you have food in your mouth?
Owyn: Yes.
Me: Did you swallow any food?
Owyn: No.
Me: Spit all the food into your napkin.
He did spit it out, and after checking the pizza (gross) we found his sweet little baby boy tooth! We washed it in a cup of water, and it's ready for the Tooth Fairy. Daddy is in Virginia working this week, but Owyn called to tell him the news. In his own words, Owyn told his Dad, "I'm becoming a big boy now."
| The gap of the lost tooth with the new tooth right behind it. |
| He is so proud of that bottom hole. |
I would be lying if I didn't admit that I got a little teary-eyed just brieflly. I remember watching that bottom left tooth come in during his first summer, how much it bothered him when he was first teething. And now, five years later, I was holding it in my hand. My baby is growing up, and he now has one adult tooth to prove it.
| Owyn holding his tooth |
We put Owyn's tooth in a little pocket that is on a pillow case I used as a little girl. It has a picture of a tooth fairy, a little pocket for the tooth, and my name. I promised Owyn I would find someone to embroidery his name on the pillow case too.
Once his tooth was tucked safely in the pocket, Owyn said, "I wish I could keep it." I told him I thought the Tooth Fairy would leave it, but he should write a note to her just in case. So he wrote the following note:
Dear Tooth Fairy,
Please leave my tooth so my Daddy can see it.
Owyn
I have a special little box that a co-worker gave me when Owyn was born, and I think his tooth (and maybe future teeth?) will fit in it perfectly!
Owyn,
ReplyDeleteYou lost your first baby tooth, congratulations, you are now a big boy!
Did the tooth fairy leave the tooth, so that Daddy could see it?
Daddy
Yes, Daddy, she did leave my tooth! You can see it when you get home.
ReplyDelete