I have always loved buying new school supplies.
I loved picking out my Trapper Keeper when I went to Junior High. I loved getting brand new pencils and crayons in elementary school, and eventually pens and mechanical pencils for high school. I loved highlighters in college and made sure I had a vast array of colors always at my disposal. When I started teaching, I became obsessed with dry erase markers, colorful permanent markers, Mr. Sketch "smelly" markers, rainbow colored ink pens, and various sizes and shapes of post-it notes.
I have always LOVED buying school supplies.
Until this year.
This year, I had to buy school supplies for my son. My KINDERGARTEN son!
He was thrilled to pick out his favorite color of backpack, scissors, and folder - all green. He even found a new green lunch bag complete with water bottle attached. He was disappointed that the required eraser only came in pink and not green, but settled for a yellow one I managed to find somewhere in my own stash of school supplies. I was happy that he chose his favorite color, green, rather than a character (i.e. - Toy Story, another favorite thing), for his backpack and folders. Green is a lasting color, after all, not a passing interest like a Disney character tends to be.
So, he has his supplies. He's all set. To start Kindergarten. This week.
I, however, am not all set. I am feeling anxious about all aspects of Kindergarten. Will he like his teacher? Will his teacher like him? Will he have friends in his class? Will the other kids like him? Will he cry on the first day? Will he get to the bathroom in time? Will he talk too much? Will he eat all his lunch? Will he be bored? Will he feel overwhelmed? Will he miss me?
For now, he has his school supplies. He has his backpack. He has his new shoes and his uniform shirts ready in his closet. The rest will be answered soon.
My baby starts Kindergarten this week.
No comments:
Post a Comment