The kids and I continued one of our annual traditions on this Memorial Day. We began the day with mass at St. Bridget's, the church where my mom was raised, in Nolan Settlement. Each year, a mass is said in the morning and then a cookie reception is held as families wander the grounds and cemetery. Many of my relatives are buried in St. Bridget's Cemetery including my maternal grandparents, Michael and Viola Ryan; my uncles, Dennis and Patrick Ryan; my great-aunt and great-uncle Loretta and Joe Donohue, and many more ancestors from Ryan to Maher to Sheedy.
![]() |
| St. Bridget's, Nolan Settlement McKenzie (7), Zoee (4), Owyn (7), Alex (10) |
From St. Bridget's, we returned to Iowa City to my dad's grave at St. Joseph's Cemetery.
![]() |
| St. Joseph's Cemetery, Iowa City |
One of my favorite parts of St. Joe's on Memorial Day is the giant American flags that are proudly displayed. They stand so tall and majestic and truly capture the spirit of the day.
![]() |
| Left to Right: Alex, Owyn, McKenzie and Zoee |
Finally, I took Owyn and Zoee to a new spot this year. We drove through Oakland Cemetery where my Grandma and Grandpa Spurgeon are buried alongside their son, Wally.
![]() |
| Oakland Cemetery, Iowa City |
My Grandma, Edna, was the only one of the three that I ever knew, but I wanted my children to hear about all of them and see the beautiful headstones and flowering plant my dad helped design. I promised Owyn and Zoee we can come back soon to bring flowers. We have been having such strong winds and rain that I was afraid any flowers we delivered today would be washed away by tomorrow. On the plus side, the grass and trees in all three cemeteries are so green and beautiful today after so much rain!
Happy (rainy) Memorial Day to all!




No comments:
Post a Comment