Blog Photo

Blog Photo
Brooklyn, NY April 2010

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Peregrine Triathlon

I figured the key to having a good weekend while Mommy was away for the weekend was to keep busy. Thursday night was Sam's Pizza, Friday night was Wii night, Saturday was a kids triathlon in Cedar Falls, Saturday night Monkey Joe's in Davenport, and Sunday was the Zoo and picking up Mommy from the airport.

I was kind of nervous about the triathlon. I had considered a couple of times just skipping it. Owyn was signed up for it, but it had been fairly cold for several days and it looked to be cold on race day. What made me nervous was the swim. I was concerned both about the water temperature, which I was told was in the low 60's, and the air temperature, which was in the high 50's. On top of that, Owyn's still learning how to swim and this swim was along the shore of a lake. I was hoping they would just cancel the swim part of the triathlon. When we got there I asked if they were doing the swim and they indicated they would (as long as the water temp was 60 or above). That's pretty cold, in fact I normally wouldn't swim in water that cold unless I had a wetsuit. Owyn does not have a wetsuit. So I asked the race director if Owyn could just do the bike and the run since I was concerned about the swim. The race director had no problem with that, just that Owyn couldn't win any awards. Owyn was a little disappointed in that, but I thought it was just fine.

He ended up having a great time. Much of the 2.5 mile bike was on a trail with lots of trees. Zoee and I waited for Owyn at the last turn. We saw him come from a distance and he had a big smile on his face. We followed him as best we could to the transition where the volunteers helped him take his helmet off so he could do the half mile run, again on another trail, this one a scenic grass trail.

Transition to the bike





We ran out a bit with him on the paved part of the run until it went into the trail. We waited for him to return there. He looked very warm when he returned (the start was cold, so he was kind of bundled up, a little too much), but when he saw us he was happy to see us. We raced him into the finish line. When he finished he stripped off his two extra shirts and his sweat pants. He was hot, but had a great time as he told us all about the trails he got to bike and run on.


So proud!


Good job, Owyn!!

No comments:

Post a Comment