Zoee made it through her first week of school (two days) with no problems. And no tears.
This week, however, was very different. Zoee came home last Thursday and said she wasn't going back to school. She decided that she doesn't like school and wasn't going back ever again. Since that isn't an option, we took her back to school this week and were subjected to her sad face and tears. A lot of tears.
On Tuesday, I had to finally pry her arms from my neck and hand her off to the teachers as she was screaming "Mommy, No!" when we walked out the door. I was a puddle of tears myself for leaving her like that. My heart was broken to see her screaming and reaching for me as I walked away from her. When I picked her up, she was smiling and said she loves school. I thought that was the end.
Until Thursday.
Again there was crying all the way to school, she tried to run away at the door, she screamed for me to not leave her there as the teachers held her while I made my escape. I even sent another mom over to spy on her and see if she was still crying after I had left the room. Her crying had stopped after about fifteen minutes. When I picked her up, she was again smiling, laughing, saying "Mommy, I love school!"
So today after pickup, we had the following conversation:
Zoee: Mommy, I had so much fun today. I love school!
Me: If you love it so much, why do you cry so hard in the morning and say that you don't want to go?
Zoee: Well I'm just sad when I go there.
Me: Why are you sad?
Zoee: Because I just feel so lonely at school when you are not with me.
Well, if that didn't just break my heart all over again. So I did what any self-respecting mother would do in this situation: I bribed my daughter. I told her that if she could go to school all next week with no crying, she can have the $3.99 pink butterfly snack container she found in the Children's Museum gift shop.
For all our sakes, I sure hope she gets that butterfly!
No comments:
Post a Comment