Blog Photo

Blog Photo
Brooklyn, NY April 2010

Friday, April 29, 2011

What Is A Princess?

Today is an important day in history.  Not our personal history really, but British history.  Today is the Royal Wedding of William, the Prince of Wales, to Catherine (Kate) Middleton, now the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. 

I woke early, 4:20 am Iowa time, to watch the wedding this morning that began at 5:00 Iowa time (11:00 in London).  I felt a sense of obligation to watch this wedding.  After all, I was only 11 years old when I watched Prince Charles marry Lady Diana Spencer, the Princess of Wales, on July 29, 1981.  When I was 16, I watched Prince Andrew marry Sarah Ferguson (the Duke and Duchess of York) on July 23, 1986.  And as an adult in 1997, I watched Princess Diana's funeral as it was televised to millions across the globe. 

I have been told that as the mother of a girl, I am destined to be surrounded by princess talk and play.  But for now, Zoee has no idea what a princess is or does.  This was evidenced by me this morning.  During a break from coverage, I went to my room to start getting ready for work.  Zoee woke up shortly after that, and I invited her to watch the rest of the post-ceremony coverage with me.  Here is a bit of our chatter:

Me:  "Zoee, the Royal Wedding is on tv.  Do you want to see a princess?"
Zoee:  "Yes!"  Very excited, she starts running down the hall.  She stopped before we got to the family room and asked "What's a princess?"
Me:  (Pointing to the tv) "That is Princess Kate.  Doesn't she look pretty?"
Zoee:  "Look, horses!  I see a black horse, and a white horse, and a brown horse. I see lots of horses!!"

So, clearly, we are NOT to the princess stage of girl life.  But I did enjoy sitting on my couch watching history in the making this morning.  And I did enjoy having Zoee and Owyn join me for just a little peak at the festivities going on in a city so far away from Iowa.

And, although it's not traditional British tea and crumpets or wedding cake, we all enjoyed cinnamon rolls (thank you Daddy) for breakfast as the happy royal couple began their married life together.  




Good morning Owyn!

Zoee has taught herself that if she eats directly from the plate, her fingers will not be sticky.

Owyn has outgrown his "frosting only" stage of cinnamon roll eating
and progressed to eating the WHOLE roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment